12 Earn Scholastic Writing Awards
Congratulations to the twelve Warwick middle and high school students whose exceptional writing earned them Gold and Silver Key Awards and Certificates of Honorable Merit in the 2011-2012 Lancaster County Scholastic Writing Awards regional competition held recently.
The following Warwick students received awards:
Warwick Middle School
Gold Key Winner:
- Paige Cole – Short Story – “The Death of Damien Eberhart”, eighth grade (Ms. Schonour)
Silver Key Winner:
- Collin Heckman – Flash Fiction – “Attack Among the Stars”, seventh grade (Mrs. Rill)
Certificate of Honorable Merit:
- Olivia Pieklo – Short Story – “Death of the Will”, eighth grade (Ms. Schonour)
- Natalie Weaver – Short Story – “A Terror in the Forest”, eighth grade (Mrs. Hoyer)
Warwick High School
It is presently not known which submission(s) by each of the Warwick High School students was chosen for the awards. Students may have submitted multiple pieces for judging and were told one (or more) were being honored, but not by title.
Gold Key Winners:
- Anna Clarke (Ms. Homberger)
- Samantha Siomko (Ms. Homberger)
- Susan Gerenscer (Mrs. Lefever)
Silver Key Winners:
- Austin Minich (Mrs. Homberger)
- Susan Gerenscer (Ms. Lefever)
Certificate of Merit:
- Austin Grebinger (Ms. Homberger), missing from photo
- Breanna Bergman (Ms. Homberger)
- Emily Griest (Ms. Homberger)
- Hannah Grove (Mrs. Homberger)
- Samantah Siomko (Ms. Homberger)
- Susan Gerenscer - with two awards (Mrs. Lefever)
In addition, Samantha Siomko's work, "Watch Me Now" was selected as the "American Voice" nominee.
These students and their teachers were honored at an awards ceremony held February 3 at Hempfield High School.
Works earning Gold Keys were forwarded to the national judging of The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards in New York City. All Gold Key works from across the country will be reviewed by nationally and internationally renowned writers to select approximately 1,300 awards on the national level.
A special Warwick thanks to all who played a role in educating and encouraging our award winners!